“WHEN THE ONLY TOOL YOU HAVE IS A HAMMER, ALL PROBLEMS BEGIN TO RESEMBLE NAILS”
I may be misinterpreting this quote, but I think it means that we as humans have so many tools and don't utilize all of them. We only use one tool for all purposes, and that we overly rely on the one single tool we may have. When we use the hammer to solve problems, we will continuously use the hammer and treat every single problem like nails. In the situation of the theory of knowledge, this means that we may be relying on one certain way of knowing too much, using that way of knowing for all our pursuits of knowledge. We have so many ways of knowing and areas of knowledge to utilize. We could use a combination of intuition and reason together to solve a problem rather than always using just one. A person needs a balance of all the ways of knowing and areas of knowledge to be a well-rounded and level headed person.
I do not think you misinterpreted the quote at all. I completely agree with your statements about how humans have a narrow vision, and tend to use the one area of knowledge they are strongest at. In my response to this question I actually elaborated on the fact that this is similar to how some mathematicians think. Some mathematicians claim the whole world is made of math. But I argue that it is only that way because we created the mathematical laws in a way that would be. This is a clear example of how humans use one area of knowledge and apply it to everything. This makes our perspectives to form based on only one lens, and the further this goes the more narrow-minded be become as individuals.
ReplyDelete